Thursday, December 11, 2008

Elderly Unity....

Yesterday, as I took my daughter to the playground just in front of my house, I met an old chinese uncle who also brought his grandson to play there. I said hi and we engaged in a basic conversation. I asked him where he came from as I noticed that his malay is quite fluent with some Terengganu accent. I was proven right as he is originally from Pulau Kambing, Terengganu and is here to stay with his daughter. We went into a more intimate conversation as we're 'sekampung' and to my surprise, his wife was from the same 'kampung' as my mother and in fact just 2 doors away from my grandmother's house. He even recognise my uncle who passed away last year and noticed that I have some physical resemblance to him.

He asked me to call my mother and invited us to his house which is just 4 doors away from my house. What a small world. My mother straight away recognised the nyonya addressed as 'Mek Bujang' (according to my mother she was called Bujang as she got married very late). Mek Bujang did not recognise my mother because my mother moved out of the house some 30 years ago after getting married but she remembers strongly of my grandmother (Mok Ngoh Mek) and my great grandmother (Mok Ngoh Nye). The conversation got louder with laughter and walk down the memory lane.

What really fascinate me was that their closeness, really like old family friends regardless of race. The smell of 'colok cina' inside the house did not really affected my mother in talking with Mek Bujang with their hands holding each other. Wow...!!! So much for the race issue raised by so many Malays (especially UMNO Malays) nowadays.

So Mek Bujang told me that their families were very close together during those old days that even my great grandmother often went to her house to borrow some jewelleries whenever she wanted to go to weddings or kenduri. They even lend monies between each other during time of need.

Then she came out with this exact statement - "Kite, orang dulu dulu, memang rapat macam adik beradik doh. Dok kire cine ke melayu. Le ni jer sibuk baloh pasal melayu ngan cine. Dok tahu la bakpe. Melayu le ni banyok ngat deki ke cine padahal cine ni cume nok cari makang je. Kalu kite duduk molek macam zamang dulu dulu, sama sama boleh carik makang."

Translation - All of us were very close those days regardles of Malay or Chinese. Only now the Malay and Chinese are fighting against each other and don't know why. The Malays are envy of the Chinese although the Chinese are only making their ends meet. If all of us live like the old days, everyone will be happy.

The politicians are the one to be blame for all this regardless of their parties. They will play this issue in their political struggle. They will raise this sentiment when they want support especially from people within their own organisation. They will talk about this when they need to maintain their position so that they will be fatter and fatter.

The fact is, they forgot about all this when money is involved. When they got paid millions of RM to approve projects. When they receive millions of gifts just to persuade approvals. ETC...

Be reminded that in Islam, all humans are His servants regardless of their race. What differ is only their 'IMAN'. But still, muslims are taught to treat others with respect.

So much we can learn from the past or the least just learn something from the elderly. They are wiser in that sense when no personal interest involved.

I totally agree... What say you...???

No comments: